Friday, December 9, 2011

Lilly's Sweater and Hat



When Knit Picks first posted pictures of their Chroma yarn, it was love at first sight for me. The long colorways and softly transitioning stripes are just gorgeous and it comes in both worsted and sock weight! So when a dear friend let me know she was expecting just a few weeks later, it seemed like it was fate that I get some. I chose the blue, heather and lavender blend to be neutral, although as I tied the lavender bow at the top of the hat, I have to admit to being overjoyed that in my circle that is made up of 80% little boys,I get to knit for a baby girl!

For the sweater, I started with this pattern from Lion yarn as a general size guideline. I used a size 8 (US) circular needle for most of the sweater, switching to a size 6 for the neck. Rather than the garter stitch edge on the bottom and cuffs, I went with a 2x2 rib on the bottom an a 1x1 rib for the cuffs. I also increased the button/buttonhole band to 4 stitches. Since I was making a matching hat, I chose not to do the hood and instead finished up with a 1x1 ribbed neckline.

For the hat, I started with a 3 stitch I-cord for a few inches and then quickly increased to a generous baby sized head circumference. Then I switched to a 2x2 rib that I continued to the end of the hat, making it long enough to fold up at the bottom. I folded the I-cord into a loop at the top and secured it with a ribbon bow. I think for a boy I would have knotted the I-cord and left the end sticking up instead.

Beanbottom's Scarf

Beanbottom's Scarf
2004: My first completed knitting project!