Saturday, January 19, 2013

Homemade Granola Two Ways

Granola is something my family loves to snack on; on yogurt, with milk or fruit, etc.  It also makes a great gift in a jar with a pretty ribbon.  Over the years, our granola recipe has evolved.  I started with this recipe that I found online, but I realized that I've strayed from it pretty far.  The millet adds a really nice crunch.  Here are two variations of the recipe I use now.
Sam helped me with this batch

For Each:

3 cups organic rolled oats
1/2 cup millet
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/3 cup organic coconut oil
1/2 cup honey

For a Little Nutty Granola:

3 tbs peanut butter (melted into the coconut oil)
1 cup chopped nuts of your choice (today I used walnuts and almonds)

For Jen's Wild (Berry) Oats

1/2 - 1 cup dried cranberries, blueberries, strawberries or raspberries

Directions

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.  Mix together dry ingredients (except berries) in a large bowl.  Melt coconut oil and swirl around the measuring cup before adding.  Toss to coat.  Measure honey in the same measuring cup.  Toss to coat again.  Bake until golden brown in a large roasting pan or cookie sheet with a lip for 30-40 minutes stirring every 10 minutes.  After removing the granola from the oven, give it another stir and then allow it to cool completely.  At this point it should be pretty crunchy and break apart in clusters.  If it's not crunchy enough for you, try drying it out further in a barely warm oven.  When it's completely cool, mix in the dried fruit. Enjoy!


Beanbottom's Scarf

Beanbottom's Scarf
2004: My first completed knitting project!